- Do you think of the term “Social Network” as applying to your RL life and your RL, physical friends? Or mostly to Online & Mobile tools that connect you to people in cyberspace? -When I think of Social Network I automatically make the connection that its just an online tool to keep in touch with people who are or who have been in my life.
- Does Dunbar’s Number make sense to you? That we can only have around 150 truly meaningful relationships, and any others we know will be in more fragmentary ways? -It does make sense to me because a meaningful relationship can come in many different forms and be because of many different reasons. We are complex humans with a variety of needs that can be fulfilled through the myriad of people that come in our lives. 150 seems a tad small if you look at the course of a lifetime, but as of right now it seems reasonable.
- What does it mean to have 1,000 or 2,000 or 5,000 Facebook “friends”? Who are these people? What sorts of relationships do you have to them? –Having a thousand or more online friends usually means they probably don’t know even half of the people. Some people just like having a lot of “friends” (a.k.a. random people) simply for the likes. I personally never accept friend request from people that I don’t know at all.
- When we visualized our Art110 Social Network, or when you visualized your personal Social Network, did anything surprise you? Did you find any connections or relationships that you hadn’t thought about or realized any different connections? -When I visualized our Social Network, I must admit that I wasn’t really surprised to see all of the connections everyone had with one another. I say this because I’ve realized that online and in real life so many people are connected to each other in not just one, but sometimes two even three different ways. The commonly used phrase, “woah, small world” pretty much sums it up.
- What’s your Personal Number? How many people would you like to have close relationships with in your life? 1? 10? 100? 1,000? –In my life right now, I probably have about 50-80 close relationships between my friends and family. I hope that in the future I will be able to have more close relationships, as many as time allows. To me, its important to have a copious amount of people who truly cherish your existence and vise-versa.
- Do you have more “friends” on Facebook or some other platform than are truly your “friends”? What is your relationship to those “extra friends”? Have these weak ties ever brought you new resources like a job opening, someone to date, a cool event, info for something you were working on, etc? -I dont really use Facebook, for my primary platform is Instagram. There I have followers who are family, family-friends, co-workers, friends that I met through school, and acquaintances. The ones I consider “extra friends”are the acquaintances that I maybe only met once or twice, the “friends” at school that i knew of but never actually talked to and some of my past coworkers that I lost touch with. These weak ties have not necessarily brought me anything truly beneficial but have introduced to me new places to explore or to eat, or new music by simply posting a picture or video of it.